2018 State Convention
The State Convention will be held at the Salt Palace Convention Center (100 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84101) in Salt Lake City on April 28th, from 7 AM to 5 PM (or until business is finished). The convention is located in Hall 4, where you can register and get your credentials. Please find within these links a Salt Palace Map, an invitation to the Taylor & Mayne Awards Dinner on April 27th, UDP Bylaws, UDP Constitution, draft of the State Platform, directions to the Salt Palace, Convention Rules and Schedule. We will be providing a printed packet about the candidates running, our platform, and convention rules the same day. Please arrive with proof of identification and remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Parking is limited, so we encourage you to carpool.
- If you are taking public transportation, the Salt Palace is located close to the Temple Square Trax Stop Station on the Blue/Green line and accessible via bus. For more information, please go to rideuta.com to plan your route.
- Food will not be provided by the Utah Democratic Party; however, there will be food sold at nearby kiosks, some candidates will offer snacks, and many restaurants (Click to access visitsaltlake.com) are within walking distance.
- Registration opens at 7:00 AM and closes at the end of our last ballot submission.
- If you are interested in being a volunteer for Convention, please fill out this form (Click to access form to register for volunteering).
Identity/Issue Caucuses start at 8 AM and go until 10:15 AM. While it is not required to attend caucuses, it is often a great first step into getting involved in the political process (Click to access list of identity and issue caucuses). We encourage everyone to use State Convention as an opportunity to get involved with a Issue/Identity Caucus.
Often, there is a second or third round of balloting for convention and we want to make sure your voice is heard. We encourage you to prepare for additional time in case additional rounds are required. Various activities to pass the time are present at conventions.
Convention is only the first step in electing more Democrats in Utah. What we need is a sea of volunteers to support our great candidates, whether it is once a month or once a week, volunteering with a campaign is the best way to keep the #BlueWave momentum in 2018 going all the way to 2020 and beyond.
We look forward to seeing you, and holding an energetic and exciting convention. The night before convention, we have our annual Taylor & Mayne Awards Dinner (Click to purchase tickets). At the dinner, we honor two members of our community: The Todd Taylor Democratic Gains Award honors one person who has helped build the party over their years of dedicated service. The Ed Mayne Labor Champion Award honors a member of the Labor Community who has helped mold the Labor Movement in Utah. You are cordially invited to attend, and tickets are $65 each.