21 Apr DeSantis and Utah Republicans: United in Extremism
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
|Contact: Ben Anderson, Communications Director
|Phone: +1 (801) 830-0645
DESANTIS AND UTAH REPUBLICANS: UNITED IN EXTREMISM
SALT LAKE CITY, April 21, 2023 –– Ahead of Ron DeSantis’s speech at the Utah GOP Convention tomorrow, Utah Democratic Party Chair Diane Lewis released the following statement:
“As the Utah GOP welcomes Ron DeSantis with open arms tomorrow, no one should forget the extremist policies that they share: pushing the government into womens’ private medical decisions, targeting LGBTQ kids, and making it easier for dangerous criminals to get their hands on deadly weapons. This radicalism is not in line with the values of most Utahns, who want to see leaders prioritize freedom, compassion, and common sense.”
Here’s what you need to know about Ron DeSantis’s record of extremism:
- As a founding member of the House Freedom Caucus, DeSantis supported cuts to Social Security and Paul Ryan’s plans to end Medicare as we know it.
- Under DeSantis, Florida is one of only ten states that has refused to expand Medicaid for the most vulnerable families despite Florida facing some of the highest out-of-pocket health care expenses in the country.
- DeSantis continues to prioritize giving billions in tax giveaways to ultra-wealthy corporations and lining the pockets of his billionaire donors while working families suffer.
- While he focuses on fighting childish culture wars, DeSantis has refused to address Florida’s teacher shortage – which is one of the worst in the country.
- DeSantis signed an abortion ban last week that rips away a woman’s right to make her own health care decisions before many even know they’re pregnant.
The Utah Democratic party is the face and voice of Democrats in the State of Utah. We believe that Utahns deserve strong, competent leadership that puts the people and democracy first.
For more information, contact Ben Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (801) 830-0645.