16 Aug One Year Later: Inflation Reduction Act Delivering for Utah
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||Contact: Ben Anderson, Communications Director|
|Phone: +1 (801) 830-0645|
SALT LAKE CITY, August 16, 2023 –– Today, Utah Democratic Party Chair Diane Lewis released the following statement on the anniversary of the Inflation Reduction Act becoming law:
“One year ago, President Biden and Democrats beat Big Pharma and ultra-wealthy special interests to pass the Inflation Reduction Act — despite every single Republican from Utah voting against it.
“The legislation is doing exactly what it promised: lowering health care and prescription drug costs for families, bringing new jobs to our communities, and spurring crucial investments in clean energy that will continue to deliver for future generations of Utahns. The progress we’ve made is all at stake in 2024 as MAGA Republicans pledge to roll back the historic legislation and increase costs on middle-class families. That’s why it’s so important that we send President Biden and Vice President Harris back to the White House next year to finish the job and elect Democrats up and down the ballot who will protect and build on the progress we’ve made.”
Here’s how the Inflation Reduction Act is delivering for Utahns:
- 427,600 seniors and other Medicare beneficiaries in Utah will save money on prescription drug costs because of President Biden’s caps on out-of-pocket prescription drug and insulin costs, free vaccines, inflation rebates, and drug price negotiation program.
- In 2021, there were already 43,452 Utah workers employed in clean energy jobs. The Inflation Reduction Act is expanding those job opportunities, bringing an estimated $1 billion of investment in large-scale clean power generation and storage to Utah between now and 2030.
- Hardworking Utah families will receive $101.1 million in home energy rebates to help cut their energy costs by weatherizing their homes and replacing old appliances with more efficient models.
- Manufacturers employ 145,300 workers in Utah, and the Inflation Reduction Act will help us make the technologies of the future at home — supporting local economies and strengthening supply chains.
- Utah is home to 313,590 small businesses, representing 99.3% of all businesses in the state, and the Inflation Reduction Act will help them save money through tax credits to support energy efficiency improvements that deliver lower utility bills.
- The Inflation Reduction Act will make it easier and cheaper for Utahns to purchase an electric vehicle, with upfront discounts for new and used EVs, helping middle-class Americans skip the gas pump and save on fuel costs.
- The Inflation Reduction Act will significantly reduce pollution, helping Utah not only avoid costly climate impacts from more extreme weather, but also improve local air quality.
- The Inflation Reduction Act supports climate-smart agriculture practices, which will help Utah’s 17,900 farms lead on climate solutions and reward their stewardship.
- The Inflation Reduction Act will upgrade affordable housing, helping thousands of Utahns boost resilience in the face of intensifying extreme weather.
The Utah Democratic party is the face and voice of Democrats in the State of Utah. We believe that Utahns deserve strong, competent leadership that puts the people and democracy first.
For more information, contact Ben Anderson at email@example.com or +1 (801) 830-0645.