Utah Democrats: Forward Together
Utah Democrats believe we all share a common humanity. This belief drives our efforts to build a vibrant society in which all can pursue their dreams. Quality education, good health, economic security, environmental protections, and effective governance are key to our success.
This platform was approved by State Delegates at the 2018 Utah Democratic Party State Convention.
We believe our shared humanity transcends age, race, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, country of origin, immigration status, class, or ability; it drives all we do. Thus, we:
- Promote policies that protect the basic civil rights guaranteed by our Constitution;
- Support the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment;
- Oppose the death penalty as an inhumane and fundamentally unjust practice;
- Strive to eliminate discriminatory practices and systemic barriers that impede personal aspirations and contribute to intergenerational cycles of poverty;
- Support efforts to protect the most vulnerable among us, such as children; people experiencing housing insecurity; veterans; people with disabilities, including those with mental illness or addiction; the elderly; and those re-entering society after incarceration.
We believe education is essential to personal fulfillment, economic development, and a flourishing, stable society. Accordingly, every child and adult needs access to quality public educational resources with which to equip themselves for a complex world. Thus, we support:
- Funding for competitive teacher salaries, smaller class sizes, and modern, well-maintained facilities;
- Resources needed to address the physical, social, and mental health needs of students;
- Evidence-based curricula that prepare students to be citizens of the 21st century;
- Certification standards that put well-qualified teachers in the classroom;
- Early childhood education, especially for vulnerable and at-risk children; and
- Affordable post-secondary education.
A Healthy Utah
We believe society has a moral imperative to ensure universal access to affordable, quality healthcare. Thus, we support:
- Comprehensive preventive, reproductive, and mental health care, including treatment for substance abuse disorders;
- The right of individuals to use whole plant medical cannabis under the direction of a medical professional;
- A multifaceted approach to the epidemic of gun violence, including common-sense regulations and increased support for mental health care;
- Standards of excellence for health care institutions, providers, and training programs; and
- Strong Departments of Health, health/wellness promotion and education programs, and biomedical research.
We believe Utahns deserve an economy that provides the financial security needed for individuals and businesses to thrive, not just survive. Accordingly, we support policies that:
- Allow unions to bargain on behalf of workers;
- Ensure one’s labor is rewarded with a living wage;
- Attract and facilitate the creation of businesses that employ individuals with diverse abilities and skills;
- Ensure workplace safety and promote employee well-being, including work life balance;
- Eliminate discrimination in hiring, promotion, and compensation;
- Protect those living at or below poverty’s edge, including those that enhance food and housing security.
We believe a healthy environment sustains and improves life and supports a dynamic tourism and recreation industry. Thus, we support:
- Preparing for the impact of climate change on our health, economy, and environment;
- Improving our air quality;
- Protecting and effectively managing our water supply;
- Protecting against the development of and damage to our wilderness areas, landscapes, parks and monuments, Native sacred lands, unique ecosystems, and vulnerable habitats;
- Preventing the privatization of state and federal lands; and
- Promoting the development of clean, renewable sources of energy.
We believe good government is the foundation of a healthy society. Thus, we will strive for:
- Government that is efficient, fiscally responsible, transparent, ethical, accountable, and that puts the welfare of Utah residents above the welfare of special interest groups;
- Government that advances the common good through infrastructure development; public education; environmental protections; social supports; public health and safety programs; and an unbiased justice system, including access to jury trials;
- Increased voter participation, both in candidate selection and in the final election of those who govern;
- Secure voter registration and electoral processes that ensure reliable results; and
- Fair and non-partisan electoral boundaries that respect existing communities.